Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jsem tady! I am here!

I arrived in the Czech Republic friday morning and it is great. I am still not adjusted to the keyboard yet, but I am improving. Jana, my amazing host sister has been my Czech teacher during the days, along with letting m efollow her around like a duckling in town. I thought it would be colder here, but it gets so hot in the afternoons. And nowhere has air conditioning! The food so far has been great. I think I have had some sort of potato product at every meal, besides breakfast. we also drink a lot of čaj, which is tea, and tons of soup. Lunch is hot and dinner and breakfast are smaller and cold. Oh, and they do not have ice cubes here! But the zmrzlina, ice-cream, is really good. They eat a lot of sweets. If any of you can get your hand on some Tatranky bars, do it! They are so good.
Enough about food. I have a funny story. So, at the orientation when we arrived there were about 40 students from all over the world. There were two of us from the US and a lot from Thailand. Everyone was super sweet. I ended up hanging out quite a bit with some Germans,a belgian, a swede, who I accidently asked where he lived in Switzerland, and a norwegian. They were a lot of fun, but I was spoiled by their excellent English. so, I had been at the orientation overnight and I realized that I never told my parents that I had made it safely. I asked My Belgian friend if I could borrow his laptop to send a quick email, but the keyboard was ridiculous! He is from flanders and his keyboard was AZERTY, not QWERTY. Here, it is QWERTZ. A bit tricky, but I wil get it soon. My email ended up being
i made it.
Everyone thought that was hilarious. Granted, I did too.
But life here is great and the town is gorgeous. Yesterdaz, I bought our bustickets. Jana had to practice with me a few times, though. Soon, I will be much better. I should go now to see if she needs a hand with lunch. Čau!

2 comments:

  1. How does one pronounce 'zmrzlina?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, about that...
    I am getting better though!
    BTdubs, you need to update your profile, chica!
    Oh, and I am probably going to be skipping out on physics, at least for the beginning of the year. It is just to spite you.

    ReplyDelete