Friday, September 3, 2010

2 (well, I guess three) days down!

School is going really well for me. I was worried that it would be really hard to meet people and become part of the class, but people have been super sweet to me. They translate what the teacher is saying and let me copy their notes, so I can figure them out later. A lot of my teachers seem really cool, and I hope that soon I will understand more.

Yesterday, my favorite class was French. The group I have been traveling around with are the Frenchies of 3.G. 3.G. is my tree class, or something like that, and we have most of our classes together. They take 5 hours of french a week and some English too, compared with the other class who take 5 hours of English and some German classes. My group is stronger in French, the other in English. Before school started, we joked around about how there would be more and less advanced English classes and which one would I be in, but I ain the less advanced! The teacher, who is also my head teacher, seems to think that I am a great teaching tool for her classes, but we will have to discuss that. It is hard, because it was very nice of the school to include me, and I am happy to help a bit and share about my culture, but I am here to experience Czech culture, not teach English. But, back to the point, today, I did not enjoy French quite as much because the teacher, who was different from yesterday, was speaking mostly Czech, compared with all French. Oh well! Two teachers, two teaching styles. today, i enjoyed český jazyk the most, which is funny, because technically, it should be the one I should understand the least, right? But he was explaining the different forms of literature, and most of them are cogantes, so I was happyhappyhappy.


We have ten minute breaks between each class, and I think those are the hardest times for me. During class, if people are talking, it usually in someway is connected to class, and can be explained. But between classes, I cannot figure out what they are talking about as easily. I guess it will get easier as my Czech improves, which it is slowly doing.

My host sister, Jana, is one grade ahead of me, so I see her in the halls and she helps me out around school. and we had lunch together today. It was my first Czech cafeteria lunch, and I am a little bit scared about my second. It was chicken with rice, a kiwi, some saladish thing, soup and fruit tea. The soup was a little greasy, but fine, but I was nervous to try the main course. The chicken had that canned cat food look. I gave in and started with the rice, and was eating contentedly until I saw a hair. Hair in your food happens, even back home at Harley, so I was prepared to just pull it out and ignore it. But it was not an innocent, ignorable hair. It was an "okay... I guess I§m done eating now" while running to clear your plate kind of hair. At my last haircut, Sofia told about her policy of always trying things twice. If you only try it once, it could have been a mishap, or badly prepared, and you might actually like it if you try again. So monday, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah pointed me to your blog, sounds like you are having a wonderful, enriching experience. LOL on the meatless meal. P Kingsley

    ReplyDelete