Tuesday, September 7, 2010

School and more adjusting left to do

Life here is good. Really good. School is going well for me. I understand some of my classes, especially the ones, like History, where the teacher speaks to me in French because I do not know Czech :) That is always fun. But I feel like a part of the class, and lunch yesterday was okay. I was going to give you guyw the breakdown of my schedule, but it changes a lot (a lot!) and I§m not sure what my schedule is going to be like yet. I think I am going to drop a few of my tree class´classes, like biology and ZSV, which is some kind of politcal studies thing. And, I want to move ahead in French, and take spanish with the grade above me, because my class only has german, english and french. We will see how this works out. But Imiss the simplicity of the harley schedule! Parents never understood it, but it is so easy! Now, I have to check online everyday to see which classes have been moved or switched. Confusing!

My favorite classes so far are math and some of French. We have two French teachers, and one does a lot of speaking and only teaches in French, which I adore, and the other speaks mostly Czech or French with a Czech accent and teaches out of a book. It is quite boring, and I do not enjoy it much. I miss you guys, Frenchies! But I talked to the teaching teacher, and she said i can probably be with the third grade, 2 years ahead. I was surprised when French was so easy because the Europeans I met through AFS all had such good English. I thought I would be struggling to keep up with their fluent French. But no worries there. and math is great. We are doing easy algebra, like finding x in equations and such. I am not trying to brag, but I have been the first one doen out of the whole class on every set of problems she has given us. Today, I felt so silly, because I was workinghrough the problems on the board, and one of them was pretty funky, with imaginary numbers involved. I solved it, then asked the teacher if I was on the right track. she pointed to the capital R on the board, which I guess meant only real answers. She wrote my answer on the board in red, next to the x equals empty set. I got somelooks for that one. I feel like Iwill be embarrassed when my knowledge runs out and I actually have to start learning, and Iam no longer lightening fast. Oh well!

The day seems really long even though I end school at 1:30 most days. I think it is because I do not have lunch until then, or until I get home even later. Today, I was taking the bus home alone, since Jana still had classes, and thinking that my bus was early, I caught the wrong bus. I rode it, then got off thinking that "wow! starý Jičín looks really different from this angle!" Then, I looked at the bus stop and saw, oh. This is not stary jicin. No wonder it looks different. So, I scrambled to get back on the bus, and the driver asked me where I was trying to go. Long story short, I rode the bus all the way back to the bus station, which I had walked to from school and wasted an hour. But, eventually, I did make it home, and now I have a story to tell, right?

Czech food is a funny thing. I still find it remarkably meat and starch heavey, as well as just heavy in general, but people here wonder how I am adjusting to the healthier food. They seem to think that because the foods that come out of America and into the world are things like McDonalds and Double Downs, that that is all we eat. I miss fruits and vegetables! Though, we have had some really good stuff, like blackberries and apples, from the garden in the backyard. Oh, and Guláš with knedlíky(dumplings) is the bomb! I ordered it the other day at a restaurant near our house, and now whenever I pass the restaurant, I am like, yummm. Guláš. I think that was my favorite Czech meal so far. Oh, and I miss milk. They have milk here, but it is no good and comes in unrefrigerated boxes. suspicious.

A note: I think I am going to go back to the US with horrible lungs. Even though no one in my family smokes, people smoke everywhere. I cannot stand it. We went to the concert the other day to celebrate novy jicin, and when I came home, I had a headache and I smelled like I had rolled in an ashtray. Restaurants have a smoking and non-smoking section, but everything still smells like smoke. And people always seem to choose the worst places. Like in the front of the line for the bus. or upwind of you when you are outside at a restaurant. Oh well. I guess it is not bad, just different. But I am definitely not a fan.

Exciting news:

So, the other day my host dad told me that if there is something I want to see, Vienna is about as far away as some of my track meets last year :O
WOWZA!

And, at the end of october, we are bopping over to Barcelona for a quick trip, because the fares were low! I am unbelievably excited. It looks like a gorgeous city.

Slovakia for some crazy hiking at the end of this month.

And Prague is always just a bus ride away.

I LOVE EUROPE!!!
p.s. and my awesome wave-jumping cousin, Vani!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a mostly amazing time! Been playing much? I didn't get into the chamber music class, so no Lindeny goodness for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. poop on them!!!!
    Been practicing a bit, and orchestr starts tomorrow. HOpefully i will find a teacher, but I miss Sherri and my viola! BTdubs, you are talented and bright and wonderful and I love you, and they made a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meghan, this is an amazing adventure! I love how they think you're eating a healthier diet! They obviously never met your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome!
    Oh, and thanks for the wave jumping comment... :)
    That was a lot of fun...
    Love,
    Vani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan though I don't know exactly what you are doing but I think you are on some sort of special exchange program for music to Europe. I could be wrong but it sounds wonderful. Hope you have a great time and keep blogging.
    Love,
    Sonia Bua
    P.S You looked gorgeous in a Sari.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan! I'm posting from Jaimie's account, BTW. It sounds like you're adjusting quite nicely! We played in Chamber today and missed you, but we have a new student named Madeline who plays viola and is holding her own!! Very nice girl. I am jealous of all the sights you have seen. Good luck with the language. Are you going to be playing in or out of school there? Take care-
    Mrs. Sprague

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meghan,

    Mr. Frye posted the link to your blog in his weekly newsletter, so you may be getting some more Harley responses soon. Great blog and what a good way to keep in touch with people. It all sounds so interesting. I remember fondly my year in England, which in those days was a decidedly different culture, but I never had to deal with the language barrier, except when we travelled. There is nothing more exciting than travelling in one of those old countries and seeing the bulidings that truly are 500 (or more) years old (not just made to look like they are.)
    I am jealous of your impending trip to Vienna, one of my favorite stops on one of my tours of Europe. They have the greatest museums and palaces. Schoenbrunn was majestic with incredible gardens, and I loves the Kunsthistorisches Museet. (I butchered the spelling I think.) They also, at least in the early nineties, had these great sausage sandwiches which were made from a small baguette in which the vendor poked a hole from one end and into which he then stuffed a rather large sausage/kielbasa slathered with ketchup and some sort of mustard.
    I also loved how in Vienna (and probably some other European cities) they had two sidewalks, one for bikers and one for regular foot traffic.
    I got a kick out of your comment about the great cities being no further than some of your track meets last spring. Hmm, you can go to Dundee or to Vienna. Which would you choose?!?

    Have a great year.

    Foster

    ReplyDelete