Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Whirlwind

The last few days have been jam-packed with adventures. I left home 2 weeks ago, and now I have been to Prague, learned how the past tense works, though I am not so good at using it yet, and am a student at a Czech high school! Yesterday, we woke up at four and drove to Prague. It is a few hours drive, but the day was so worth it. We soaked up Prague, literally. It was drizelly and cold, but I am ready to move there. the city has great energy and I felt like I fit right in. We rode the subway around everywhere and i think I understand underground Prague pretty well now. As for above ground, and anywhere in Nový Jičín, I am still clueless. Thank goodness for Jana! She seemed to know Prague like the back of her hand.

In the morning, we saw some tourist sights and I took a bunch of photos. Because of the weather, we did not end up going to Prague Castle, so now I have an excuse to go back. We spent a long time at the mall. I was so shopped out by the end! I got some post cards, books, shoes for school and a tank top. Oh, and in the Czech Republic, they charge you for everything! We went to good ol´ MickeyD´s for lunch, and I wanted ketchup for my fries, but you had to pay! I did not want ketchup that badly!

Paying for everything reminds me of the bathrooms here. You know in the musical Urinetown when everyone has to pay to pee, right? That is the Czech Republic! It is like 50 cents to use the bathroom, and if you wanted a shower at the train station, another two bucks! pretty crazy, I thought, but I guess it§s normal here. also, you know you§re in a different part of town when the bathrooms are lit in blue lights so you cannot see your veins. SKETCHY! But in my house, we have ě bathrooms. One with just a toilet and sink, the other with a tub/shower, sink, and washing machine and dryer. It is funky, but it makes sense.

I always thought that the US had the most "disposable" culture. We have single time use toothbrushes! But Czech culture is disposable in a different way. My family was surprised by the number of cars we have, and we do have a lot,but Czech culture is not all that "green". Yesterday at the mall, I was trying to ask Jana if she knew where I could buy a waterbottle to use for school. She did not understand what I meant. They drink a ton of bottled water here, even at home where they have tap water that is just fine. But the idea of buying an empty bottle to use again and again just for tap water does not make sense. Also, they have so much packaging on everything here. Maybe I just am noticing it more becasue they have less trashcans. The world will never know!

I had some more written, but it was just me whining, so here are some pictures!
At the "witch" gathering, with some of my host cousins
Traditional Czech campfire, I guess. Czech Smores: sausage, hardy bread and mustard. It was good, though. I liked watching the sausages cook.
The view on our walk

top of the hill


National Museum, or something like that. We did not go in, but I liked the fountain.

Beign a tourist and taking pictures of everything in Prague. Note the horses. I thought of Flash and Donny.


Looking up at the national theater


What happens when you try to make muffins not in a muffin pan. They tasted great though.



a cool mural we saw in PragueVaclav

So, I always thought the worst music came from white rappers. Czech white rappers win that battle.



This made me laugh. which reminds me, I heard another four chord song the other day on the radio. :)






We went at 5 to see the clock go. It was pretty darn cool.

the three musketeers (of Prague)



the awesome clock



Karlův most- a very famous bridge




a cool tower




Good Luck???

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    Looks fun!
    Email me! (or respond on this blog...)
    Love,
    Vani

    ReplyDelete